Being kind to yourself may not always be an easy thing to do. Self-doubt and unrealistic expectations can fill your head with self-criticism and negative self-talk.
What can you do to avoid being buried in an avalanche of negative thoughts and feelings? You may not be able to undo things that have been said or done, but you can take steps each day to make some positive changes. A big step in turning things around is to accept who you are and embrace what makes you special. Through forgiveness and self-love, you can accept that you aren't perfect and that you don't have to be!
One way to focus on the positives is by writing a love letter to yourself…
- Get in a comfy and private spot to write. Being comfortable and safe will help you tune into your emotions especially if you are feeling vulnerable.
- Pick your mode of writing. You may choose to use pen and paper, a journal, your computer, or enter it in our My Life My Voice Mood App.
- Choose your writing style. There are multiple options to choose from: lists, paragraphs, bullets, or artwork.
- Ask yourself the hard questions…
- What does my heart feel?
- What do I need to hear right now?
- What have been my challenges?
- What are my strengths and accomplishments?
- Where do I want to be?
- At the end of these self-reflections, write a sentence of self-love and support to yourself. Even though you might not completely agree with these statements now, in time you may begin to believe them to be true.
“Your self-worth is determined by you. You don't have to depend on someone telling you who you are."
If you don't have time to answer the questions listed above, try taking a moment out of your day just to say a few positive things about yourself. Empower yourself to be the positive change that you've needed all along, because being kind to yourself is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself.