Establishing boundaries is an essential life skill. Having personal boundaries is knowing and communicating how you would like others to treat you. A boundary is like a line drawn in the sand that you will not cross. It's a list of things you will not do because you value yourself.
It's so important to create your boundaries BEFORE you're in the situation.
- Know what’s important to you.
- Set your limits. Identify what's healthy for you.
- Take a stand, be firm. Once you establish a boundary stick to it.
- Communicate your boundaries clearly. This can be done in a way that is kind but firm. If you communicate your boundaries right away when entering a relationship, there will be less confusion and fewer hurt feelings.
- Pay attention to your feelings. If the little hairs on the back of your neck are standing up and you feel uncomfortable, take note. Get out of that situation.
Daring to set boundaries is about having the courage to love ourselves, even when we risk disappointing others.