There are various forms of bullying. Some are recognizable and others are more subtle.
- Verbal bullying can seem harmless at first but, can intensify and impact another’s well-being. It can start with teasing and name calling and then escalate to intimidation, insults, or verbal abuse.
- Physical bullying is easily recognized. It can entail hitting, kicking, tripping, pushing, and even damaging personal belongings.
- Social bullying is more difficult to recognize as it is done behind the bullied person’s back and can occur in person and/or online. The goal of this type of bullying is to ruin someone’s reputation and/or humiliate them. Some forms of social bullying include:
- Spreading rumors and gossip
- Excluding someone from activities or groups and encouraging others to do the same.
- Humiliating someone in public
- Posting negative comments on posts or images
- Cyberbullying can happen at any time is done using computers, smartphones, and platforms such as social media, texts, websites, and other online platforms. and can be done in a public forum or privately through DMs. This type of bullying can be anonymous and posted online where it can be seen by lots of people. And it can go on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so people don’t get a rest from it).
Some examples of cyberbullying include:
Spreading gossip or rumors
Sending hurtful messages via texts, emails, posts, images, or videos.
Imitating others online by creating fake profiles or using their log-in